Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Let's sit down and get to know Phyllis Humphry

Welcome Phyllis

Let's get started shall we.........

What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
My favorite thing about being a writer is that I get a chance to indulge my greatest desire, and people often tell me how much they enjoy what I write.

What genre(s) do you write?
My genre is Romantic suspense, but not the “thriller” type. I add a suspenseful problem to solve in order for the H/H to reach their HEA.

What genres and authors would we find you?
Most of my published books are Romances.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of writing this book was keeping the glorious Italian scenery from taking too much page space.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I’m definitely a Plotter. I need to know where I’m going.

Why do you think people should choose your books over another author?
I think my books reflect my careful attention to detail and the good writing techniques I learned from experts, as well as being able to tell an interesting story.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
 I hope readers take away a feeling of satisfaction, that the story characters they followed reached their goals.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I seldom have messages in my books, but this one shows a teenaged girl accepting advice that will improve her life.




How long have you been a writer? 
I’ve been writing for about 30 years. I started in grade school, sent stories to magazines when in high school and then graduated to novels.

How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?
My first book did not get published first, but did ten years later. My first published book went out nine times over four years before it sold.

What other careers have you had?
I’ve been a secretary, a public relations director, a Bridge teacher and art saleswoman. Plus I ran my husband’s side business for many years.

Do you write under more than one name? Why?
I wrote three books under my maiden name of Phyll Ashworth years ago, but now I use my married name.

Are any of your characters based on real people or events?
THE GREEN BOUGH is a memoir about when my husband’s aunt was a schoolteacher in a logging camp in Oregon in 1913. And COLD APRIL takes place on the Titanic where real people are mentioned and my characters are in jeopardy when the ship is sinking.

How would you describe yourself if you were “speed dating” your readers?
Speed dating? That’s a tough one.

What’s something fans would find fascinating about you?
My readers might be surprised to know I once ran an investment club, sold my non-fiction book about the stock market to John Wiley & Sons and sold many articles to investing magazines.

What else would you like readers to know about you or your work?
I’d love readers to want to read all my books because each one took much effort and was very special to me.

What books or authors have most influenced your life?
My favorite book is REBECCA by Daphne du Maurier and I still find it inspiring.

How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?
Luckily my family is very supportive and a few brag about me. LOL

Where are you from?
I was born in Oak Park, Illinois (just like Ernest Hemingway) and moved to California to escape cold winters.

How do you come up with the titles?
Titles are fun and since they can’t be copyrighted I sometimes borrow them from movies. There are two films titled THE ITALIAN JOB and I recommend seeing both.

Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer?
Yes, writing changed my life. I used to drive all over selling artwork. Now I sit at my computer all day.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
I wrote a novel and my non-fiction book at the same time, but normally I work on one project because the characters live in my head and I can’t mix them up.

When not writing, how do you relax?
When not writing, I love to read or watch movies. I’ve also appeared as an actor and singer in shows put on by the local Performing Arts Club.

Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.
Five miscellaneous facts?  I’m a chocaholic. I love classic clothes and don’t buy “fads.”  I don’t like clutter. I sing in the car when we go on a long trip. I’m an extreme Introvert.


No comments:

Post a Comment